Pre Foundation History
The history of female education in the Indian subcontinent is not glorious at all. The issue of female education has long been ignored by the societies of this locality. Moreover, social mindset towards female education was utterly negative and depressing and women were almost confined within the four walls and were compelled to do household chores merely. Social prejudice, bigotry, familial restrictions etc stood in the way of female education. There have been mountain-high hurdles in the way of female education though women constitute half of the total population. As a result of it, women lagged behind in all regards and overall social development was intensely impeded. The truth that without female education all out national development is impossible was empirically perceived by Ebrahim Khan, an educationist and prolific writer, and accordingly he inspired R.P. Saha, a great social worker and philanthropist, to set up a female college in Tangail Mohukuma (subdivision of Mymensingh district). Principal Ebrahim Khan alongwith the local elites and the enlightened of Tangail earnestly urged R.P. Saha, a man of captivating personality, for founding the college. While on a visit to Tangail, R.P. Saha was reminded of the importance of setting up a female college in Tangail. The great harbinger of humanity found it appropriate to contribute to the society once again and to do something for the progress of women. The well of human kindness rose in him and he enhanced his bounteous hands of cooperation. He named the college after his loving mother whom he lost at the age of seven only. Accordingly, Kumudini college came into being in 1943.
History of Kumudini Government College
The foundation history or the initial journey of Kumudini College is interestingly colourful and eventful. R.P. Saha put forth his utmost devotion and labour to make the project a success. Preliminary journey of the college was not at all favourable. Enormous efforts were made to collect female students and to inspire them. Scholarly teachers were searched out and were recruited. R.P. Saha declares- ‘My institutions are like pilgrimage to me’. In consistent with his motto, he started working for the college. In the year 1943, the classes of Kumudini College were held at the house of Premaditta Ghosh of Tangail town. Subsequently, arrangements were made to hold classes at a warehouse possessed by Jatindranath Roy Chowdhury. Till the time of shifting the college to the present location, classes were held there. In order of the establishment of women’s colleges in the country Kumudini College was the third one after Dhaka Eden College and Sylhet Women’s College. Mrs. Jotirmoy Ganguly was the first principal of the college. Whatever the history, R.P.Saha established the college with a noble vision to spread out the light of education among the girls of this locality as well as across the country.
The college is located at the central point of the town of Tangail. It is situated at Biswas Betka very close to the Mymensingh Road. Marked by its exquisitely beautiful natural sights the college has about 15 acres of land area. The main campus is surrounded by a high wall which was raised for the safety and security of the female students. In the campus there is a spacious playground of 10000.00 sqft and a spectacular pond with rows of myriad trees on four sides.
There is a three-storeyed Administrative Building, a two-storeyed long Intermediate Building, a three-storeyed Academic Building and a three-storeyed Masters Building in the main campus. Besides the buildings, there are also three wide corrugated iron house in the college campus to hold classes and examinations. All the academic activities of Intermediate level, 14 Honours Departments and 4 Masters subjects of about 6,500 students are being accomplished in the rooms of these buildings and houses. The library and a rich computer lab of the college is located at the 2nd and 3rd floor of the Administrative Building. There is a cafeteria, a common room, a guest room, a guard room in the campus.
The hostel of the college is separated from the main campus by a wall. There are three spacious buildings named as R.P. Saha Hall, Rokeya Hall and Bhasani Hall to accommodate approximately 1000 students of intermediate and honours levels. Residential students are monitored constantly.
Teachers and Staff Pattern
A host number of skilled and experienced teachers are occupied in rendering education to the students of Kumudini Govt. College. There are 29 posts of lectures, 17 posts of assistant professors, 11 posts of associate professor in the college. The Principal holds the post of professor while the Vice Principal’s post is associate professor. There are the posts for a librarian, an assistant librarian, four demonstrators and a physical teacher in Kumudini Govt. College as well. There are eight posts for the third class and eighteen posts for the fourth class employee and there are also considerable numbers of daily basis workers in the college.
The college has already earned the reputation of being called as the Shantiniketan of Bangladesh for its co-curricular activities. The college is the seat of cultural activities. Different national days are observed magnificently and colourfully by the students of Kumudini Govt. College. Moreover, the practice of sports, culture, literature, girls’ guide and women’s scout, BNCC, debating and science club has brought national reputation to the college.
The students and teachers of Kumudini Govt. College are also part of the glorious national movements of the country. They raised their fiery voice against the injustice and oppression of the then Pakistani Government. Many students of the college spontaneously took part in the Language Movement of 1952 and Liberation War of 1971. The names of the student leaders like Khandoker Rubi and Hasina Khan and many others are mixed with our glorious Language Movement. Rafi Akhter Dolly is the scintillating name mixed with the movement of the 60s. The college will always be proud of the martyred teacher, Abdus Sattar, of the Deptt. of History who sacrificed his life for the greatest cause of our Liberation War. The founder of the college R.P Saha himself was one of the martyred intellectuals of 1971 in the country.
The college was nationalized in the 1st January of the year 1979. Upto the time of its nationalization all the institutional expenditures of the college were afforded by Kumudini Welfare Trust.
Almost all possible measures have already been taken to digitize the college campus. The enthusiastic Principal of the college Professor Sharifa Rajia and a good number of technologically skilled teachers have been working painstakingly to bring the opportunities of information and technology to the students of the college. A few of the classrooms are now digitalized and the entire campus has been brought under Wi-Fi networking system. Teachers’ in-house training on IT is also going on to impart more effective classes taking the advantages of information and technology. In addition to it, extensive steps are being taken to open the E-mail address of about 6500 students of the college. The sparks of inspiration for the digitalization process of the college is persistently being provided by the present government.